Monday, May 20, 2024

May (Monday Poem)

 by Mary Oliver


What lay on the road was not mere handful of snake. It was
the copperhead at last, golden under the street lamp. I hope
to see everything in this world before I die. I knelt on the 
road and stared. Its head was wedge-shaped and fell back to
the unexpected slimness of a neck. The body itself was thick,
tense, electric. Clearly this wasn't black snake looking down
from the limbs of a tree, or green snake, of the garter, whiz-
zing over the rocks. Where these had, oh, such shyness, this
one had none. When I moved a little, it turned and clamped
its eyes on mine; then it jerked toward me. I jumped back
and watched as it flowed on across the road and down into
the dark. My heart was pounding. I stood a while, listening
to the small sounds of the woods and looking at the stars.
After excitement we are so restful. When the thumb of fear
lifts, we are so alive.
 
 
from Devotions: The Selected Poems of Mary Oliver, Mary Oliver
Penguin Random House, 2017 



No comments:

Post a Comment