Monday, October 25, 2021

Mindful (Monday Poem)

 by Mary Oliver



Every day
    I see or hear
        something
            that more or less

kills me
    with delight,
        that leaves me
            like a needle

in the haystack
    of light,
        It is what I was born for--
            to look, to listen,

to lose myself
    inside this soft world--
        to instruct myself
            over and over

in joy,
    and acclamation.
        Nor am I talking 
            about the exceptinal,
 
the fearful, the dreadful,
    the very extravagant--
        but of the ordinary,
            the common, the very drab,
 
the daily presentations.
    Oh, good scholar,
        I say to myself,
            how can you help
 
but grow wise
    with such teachings
        as these--
            the untrimmable light
 
of the world,     
    the ocean's shine,
        the prayers that are made
            out of grass?
 
 
 
from Devotions: the Selected Poems of Mary Oliver
Penguin, 2017
 

No comments:

Post a Comment