Monday, March 7, 2022

White Heron Rises Over Blackwater (Monday Poem)

by Mary Oliver
 
 
 I wonder
     what it is
        that I will accomplish
            today
 
if anything
    can be called
        that marvelous word.
            It won't be
 
my kind of work,
    which is only putting
        words on a page,
            the pencil
 
haltingly calling up
    the light of the world,
        yet nothing appearing on paper
            half as bright
 
as the mockingbird's
    verbal hilarity
        in the still unleafed shrub
            in the churchyard--
 
or the white heron
    rising
        over the swamp
            and the darkness,
 
his yellow eyes
    and broad wings wearing
        the light of the world
            in the light of the world--
 
ah yes, I see him.
    He is exactly
        the poem
            I wanted to write.
 
 
 
from Devotions: the Selected Poems of Mary Oliver
Penguin, 2017
 

No comments:

Post a Comment