Monday, August 31, 2026

Today Was Not My Day at All (Monday Poem)

by Jack Prelutsky
 
 
Today was not my day at all,
today was not my day,
for everything went wrong today
in almost every way.
This morning I was menaced
by a troop of marching ants,
I brushed my teeth with shaving cream,
I split my brand new pants.
 
I smashed my only glasses,
and the key snapped in the lock,
the toaster didn't toast the toast,
then handed me a shock.
I walked into a door knob,
something squirmed inside my shoe,
I found an ugly beetle
at the bottom of my stew.
 
A bird I didn't recognize
flew down and pecked my nose,
a chimpanzee on roller skates
sped by and squashed my toes.
I wonder if I'm under
some unlucky sort of curse,
today's the twelfth, and Thursday ---
tomorrow may be worse.
 
 
from It's Raining Pigs & Noodles: poems by Jack Prelutsky
Illustrated by James Stevenson
Greenwillow, 2000 

No comments:

Post a Comment