Monday, September 21, 2026

My Private Holiday (Monday Poem)

by Sharon M Draper
 
 
When I was little
I used to want a Children's Day
    like Mother's Day
    or Father's Day
 
But my mother said
    that every day
    was Children's Day.
I didn't believe her.
 
Then I wanted a Wife's Day
    but my husband said
    that every day
    was Wife's Day.
really didn't believe him.
 
Besides, he said,
    I get Valentine's Day
    and my birthday
    and Christmas too --
and have you seen my keys?
 
So I decided that a holiday should exist
just for me.
 
Because I'm worth it --
 
and Christmas
and Valentine's Day
and Sweetest Day
and Labor Day
and Arbor Day (when is that anyway?)
are just not enough.
 
I need a day
that lets me sleep
six hours past the alarm --
but when I wake up
    rested and refreshed
the glow and the promise of the morning remains
    because I like morning.
 
When I wake the house will be spotless
the kids will be brilliant
and all the bills will be paid.
 
A check will be in the mailbox
made out to me.
Maybe Publishers'Clearing House
    without the cameras.
 
I'll eat all I want
    rich French vanilla ice cream
    thick sugar-covered sweet rolls
    white chocolate macadamia nut cookies
And still lose ten pounds
 
In my backyard will be an ocean --
    with miles of clean, quiet beach --
    because I like the beach.
 
I'll walk along my beach
    and breathe in the freshness
    of my private holiday
        write poetry
        bask in the sunshine
        and eat jelly beans
 
My own celebration
of silence and joy. 
 
 
from Buttered Bones
Collected poetry by Sharon M Draper
1997  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment