Monday, August 19, 2013

SUMMER GOES (Monday Poem)

by Russell Hoban


Summer goes, summer goes
Like the sand between my toes
When the waves go out.
That's how summer pulls away,
Leaves me standing here today,
Waiting for the school bus.

Summer brought, summer brought
All the frogs that I have caught,
Frogging at the pond,
Hot dogs, flowers, shells and rocks,
Postcards in my postcard box--
Places far away.

Summer took, summer took
All the lessons in my book,
Blew them far away.
I forgot the things I knew--
Arithmetic and spelling too,
Never thought about them.

Summer's gone, summer's gone--
Fall and winter coming on,
Frosty in the morning.
Here's the school bus right on time.
I'm not really sad that I'm
Going back to school.



from The Family Read-Aloud Holiday Treasury, selected by Alice Low, illustrated by Marc Brown, 1991, Little, Brown and Company

No comments:

Post a Comment